Monday, August 11, 2008

Another fun-filled Sunday night!

Props to 'Bran-DONE' for his hosting gig lastnight! And his Long Island crew rocked the house! I'll call them 'the NEW Manhattan Trans...', er, rather, 'the Long Island Transfer', w/their awesome back up vocals to Brandon's 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love', and also their 'Mustang Sally'. And not only did Gary channel Wilson Pickett, but also Ryan, our weekly host, when he belted out 'My Own Worst Enemy'! Us 'regulars' thought for sure that it was time to introduce the band and pass the tip jar...lol!

Brandon did this cool thing where he played theme music in between songs, to introduce the next singer. For instance, Rockin' Robin's theme/intro. song was 'Different Strokes'; Marky Mark's was 'Chantilly Lace', before he sang Buddy Holly's "Oh Boy!"; and mine was, well, I don't really remember, as I was all set for Usher's 'Yeah!'. So during the break when Christine asked me what my theme song was going to be, a comedy sketch ensued...:

Christine: "Hey, so what's your theme song going to be?"

Me: "Here, I'll give you a hint. 'Yeah, yeah (Da da, da da!). Yeah, yeah (Da da, da da!)"

Christine: (Looking at me as if I have five heads...)

Me: "No?" Christine: (Still looking at me as if I have five heads...)

Me: "'Yeah...yeah!' Still no? It's Usher! 'Yeah...'

Christine: "OH! I thought it was 'Mockingbird'!


Ah ha ha ha ha!! Mockingbird?!! THAT was funny!!

Me:
(to Christine) "Ok 'Janice (Joplin), just because I was a tad concerned at first about my version of 'Bobby McGee' sounding like Carly Simon doesn't mean that every reference is a Carly Simon one...lol!

On a side note, I think a Carly Simon version of 'Smells Like Teen Spirit", could be quite entertaining! Or not... And speaking of which - it was way cool of Nexus to belt out that very song! (In true Cobain style).

Some 'newbies' to Crash Course rocked out! Melissa crooned "No One" by Alicia Keys and Michelle gave us a taste of Melissa Ethridge; and Erika sang "Black Velvet! And, props to Rockin' Robin's "Ain't No Sunshine" –

"I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know…
(19x, then DEEP BREATH) ...I know, I know..."
(7 more times, then cue Oxygen tank)

Selene's "Enter Sandman"; and John D. and Maria's rockin performances! As always, John D. got the crowd goin', this time while singing “Born to be Wild!”, and Maria and her sweet voice, singing "Dream a Little Dream of Me" just took everyone away! Rockstar started us out with the Doobie Brothers “Black Water”; Colin sang "Summertime"; Davy Monster did "Dust in the Wind"; Kathy belted "Magic Man"; and Christine gave a stunning rendition of Etta James', "At Last".

Kenny’s added a ‘catwalk’ to the front of the stage, which could either be way dangerous if you’ve had too many Pabsts, or way fun as I found out while venturing out there with “You Know That I’m No Good”. ‘MEOW!’

Tune in next week, and if you're lucky enough, you'll get to hear Geneva blow the doors off of Tracy Chapman's "Give Me One Reason" again.

Here's 4 reasons to come to Crash Course Karaoke every Sunday night -- Alan; Joe; Andy, and Kristie Lee! You guys rock!
Kristina ;)

No comments: