Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter at Kenny's!



Easter Sunday – and all us heathens… I mean, singers, lol, were out celebratin’ at Kenny’s! I got there around 9:00, as I was celebrating my own Easter dinner at the lovely 10 Downing in the Village. I highly recommend the Atlantic Char – YUM! Good thing I had dinner plans, as Kenny’s kitchen was closed! Guess there weren’t going to be too many orders for ‘Easter Burgers’ that day.

So, some of the usual crowd was there – Kathy sang “Will You Still Love Me”; Julie crooned “I Was Meant For You”; Showtime Shon gave a melodic “Let’s Stay Together”; Maya asked “What’s Love Got To Do With It?”; and Brandon got everyone hyped up when he “Saw Her Standing There.”



On account of it being Easter, the ‘Reverend’ Colin is now ‘The Most Reverend Colin” (not the ‘Moist’ Reverend – that’s for another blog). He sang “I Can See Clearly”; Selene sang about kissin' a girl - Katy Perry...; Corey Lim gave us one of the newer additions to the list, “Mercy” by Duffy; Olga belted “Behind Blue Eyes”; Marky Mark wowed with “Hound Dog”; and Charles, who compared the band members to four iPods, sang “Our Lips Are Sealed”.

I got up to sing “What I Am”, and before the music started, my throat all of a sudden went dry. I saw my CCK colleagues sitting in the audience, and motioned to ALL of them, that I needed a drink. They’re reactions – ‘Huh?’ ‘What?’ But I couldn’t speak - all I could do was give the ‘universal motion’ for ‘I need a drink!’ Finally, I stepped offstage, with the microphone in hand, to take a swig of someone’s, anyone’s Guinness that was there on the table, (thanks Colin) when all of a sudden this really loud obnoxious squealing started. What the heck?! WHERE was that coming from?!

It was coming from me.

Oops.

The mic was generating feedback from the monitors, therefore causing this horrific squelch. I quickly jumped back up on stage – good thing, as Alan was about to pull me up from my belt strap, lol… Either Ryan or Alan said into the microphone:

RYAN/ALAN
“Uh, Kristina, how long you been coming here?”

ME
“I couldn't help it! It was an emergency!”

All was forgiven…I think…

Props to Alan’s Dad stopping by, along with several folks from the State Dept. tour. They seemed to be enjoying themselves, including Michelle, who sang “Killing Me Softly”. And props to Joe Mitch on drums. He hit those ‘skins’ for Maya’s “Fever” like nobody’s business!

Check him here on YouTube, singing Katy Perry’s “Hot and Cold.”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B716fb1tTvg

Charles’ and Liza’s friend Ryan sang us some Kenny Rogers – had everyone singing along to “The Gambler”; Yanni (not THAT Yanni) sang an awesome “Enter Sandman”, while Alan did a wonderful imitation of Kriste Lee:

ALAN
(Imitating Kristie Lee)

“Now I lay me down to sleep…I pray the lord my soul to keep…”

‘Twas very funny…


Yanni (at 'Kenny's Acropolis')

Nick sang “Kryponite”; the ‘Rockstars’ made a fashionably late appearance – Richard sang “Sympathy For the Devil”, and Christine Kern belted “Creep”. Gilad, a blast from the past, sang a wild “Sweet Child o’ Mine”, to a standing ovation! EVERYONE was up off their feet as he channeled Axl Rose!

The night grew late, and I left after the 2nd set, however, I heard that the night grew even later. “Mr. Songbook”, Joe Chica-chica-relli did a rockin’ job taking over the drums for Selene’s “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” – and you can check out that video here – also on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO6zJhcsWBY

Thanks to Joe Mitch and Olga for supplying the pics and videos. Unfortunately, my ‘new-used’ camera is on the blink. So, I ask you fellow CCK’ers, to bring your cameras, and let me take some pics for the blog! That way, I can get as many pics as I want, of Colin and Brandon’s “Aunt Charisse”…

‘Til Sunday…

Your blogstress,
Kristina ;)

Quotes Corner:

Only one quote stood out this week:

“No matter what Sunday it is, you can count on you!”

“Like the Post Office!”
- Charles & Selene to me, about attending CCK every…Sunday…night.



Ameenah & Joe Mitch

No comments: